Wednesday, September 5, 2007

These kids are so cute!!

Today after class, one of my fourth graders came up to me and started to say something and then apparently panicked and ran away, covering her face laughing. She went up to my co-teacher (who speaks Korean) and then came back and asked me the following question:

"What kind of man do you like?"

This isn't so out of the ordinary because most of my kids know I'm single (thank you, informal Q&A) so I wasn't taken aback or anything. Plus, any interest in asking English questions is welcomed - I definitely don't want to discourage that. So I told her someone tall, someone nice...and she asked "A rich man, yes?" and we laughed for awhile. I said, "No - rich men are too self-absorbed", fully knowing that neither she, nor my co-teacher, would know what that meant. She asked "A handsome man?", smiling and laughing, covering her face once again and my co-teacher and I joined in. It appears as though my kids will be playing matchmaker for me for the next year :)

Yesterday after school, Hil and I went to the immigration office to get an alien registration card (basically an ID card). Its weird to think of myself as an "immigrant". Everything went smoothly (which never happens here) and there were SO MANY WHITE PEOPLE there. Like probably 12 or so. But when you're the only white person in your whole neighborhood, that's a lot to see at one time.

At the grocery store I managed to find cereal, peanut butter (A GODSEND), jam, spaghetti, milk, and wheat bread, which I think is just brown white bread. Maybe slightly burned white bread.

So I'm blogging in my classroom now, and 3 little third-grade boys are in here cleaning up (each kid has a chore to do at school - there are no janitors). They are absolutely adorable when they aren't shooting each other with the water spray bottles. I give them candy once in awhile when they don't get into too much mischief. Right now they're sweeping by spinning in circles in the middle of the room. They're pretty much hilarious.

Well, onto lesson planning. I think I have the 6th graders all to myself next week, we'll see how that goes. Some of them fancy themselves "too kool for skool" if you get my drift.

So if you'll excuse me, I have to go wrestle the spray bottles away from my third graders.

God Bless!

Jess

2 comments:

Laura said...

Jess-
Your going to be a great teacher - lucky kids! I am so thankful for you & that you are with my girl!
Keep up the good work - and blog!
Laura

Unknown said...

Hi Jess,
Terry and I met this morning and we went to an art fair on the Columbia City Court house square. We saw Terry and Mary Armstrong there -- they had a booth with his beautiful paintings. We talked about how fun it is to read your blog. Keep on keeping us posted!!
-- Pat Erdman