Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Funny story

Just a quick amusing story, courtesy of my amazing 4th-graders:

Today I was teaching my 4th grade class about world geography (ie. the English names of major world countries) and I had a powerpoint I made that featured the flags, presidents, and famous landmarks for each individual country.

I got to the Russian slide (which had the word 'Russia' in bold letters at the top), and I had a picture of the Kremlin and St. Basil's Cathedral as the famous landmarks, similar to this picture:

And when I asked the question: "Where is this building?" one of my students in the back shouted:

"DISNEYWORLD!!!"

And I thought about it...and it really does kind of look like Cinderella's castle...

It was also hilarious to watch them try to pronounce the presidents' names...I started fairly easy (Korea, China, Japan, USA) and then slowly moved into more difficult names (Italy - Giorgio Napolitano, Germany - Horst Kohler) and ended with the South African president Thabo Mbeki. Everyone was rolling on the floor laughing by the time we finished.

They also died laughing when I told them that Parliament's clock in England was called "Big Ben" (and then they proceeded to call the big kid in the class Big Ben), when someone pronounced Tony Blair's name as "Tony Bear", and when I told them that one of the presidents in Mount Rushmore's first name was Teddy. It was a funny day :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have such good ideas for your students - are you sure you're not a teacher? I think you are destined to be one! Good job!
Laura