Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Kiwi Travels

We officially made it to Auckland bright and early this morning! Its about 60 degrees here...quite the change from Seoul summer weather. So far I've noticed some differences:

1) People here dress normally
2) People here are uber-friendly
3) People here speak English (PTL!)
4) People here eat a lot of Kebabs (there are Kebab restaurants EVERYWHERE)
5) Though bigger than Koreans, people here are generally still smaller than North Americans
6) People here don't stare at me

Also in the Incheon Airport as we were getting ready to leave Seoul, we saw:

1) Japanese Olympic Sumo Wrestling Team
2) The one - the only - BOBBY KNIGHT (probably coming back from the Olympics...he was carrying golf clubs with his buddies); I wanted to ask for a picture but there were a lot of chairs in the vicinity and I was fearful

So far, so good here in NZ. We'll be traveling around here until the 8th of September, when we fly to Sydney.

Before I close, I would like to mention that our Backpackers Hostel is smack dab in the middle of the "Korean" district of downtown and that this Internet Cafe is also a Noraebang. Oh Korea - I tried to escape you, and yet you follow me even here.

Hope all is well - miss you guys!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a great time in Korea, hope your continuing travels go well and can't wait to see you when you return.

Anonymous said...

I know how uncool and unhip this makes me, but what does PTL mean?

Anonymous said...

Did you sing in the Noraebang!?!?! Did you try to drag Trevor and Rachel to it... dude, you've got to represent! There's lots of Korean stuff here, it's CRAZY!!! We even have Karaoke something (not sure if they're bars or rooms... will find out!)
Keep us posted on your travels :)

Jessica Lee Becker said...

PTL is "Praise the Lord"...one of my Seoul friends uses it all the time, so I guess it rubbed off on me!

Jessica said...

yay!!!! miss you too jess. sounds like you guys are having a blast though!