Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Lost Writings

September 20, 2008 – North Stradbroke Island, Australia (Adder Rock)

Climbing slowly, barefoot with sandals in hand. The rocks are sharp sloped and sandy. How far should I go? Just up and over, close to the spray but yet out of her salty reach. A flat spot for sitting is found as I pick shells off the rocks and send them flying to the sea. The tide is coming ever closer – will I be trapped? Stranded on Adder Rock with nothing but my sandals? To Hell with it. The tide and I are friends, and I am confident that it will not sacrifice me to the sea.


What to do on a rock, floating just above the waves? Sing songs, of course. Songs I haven’t sung for ages are whipped by the wind, carried off to no one in particular. I am alone, just me and the tide and my sandals – perched atop Adder Rock – quite simply, the only place in the world I want to be.

No comments: