Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Down Undah

So far we've spent 3 days in Sydney, and its been a whirlwind. I literally cannot believe how fast this vacation has gone! Next Monday marks the halfway point, and by then we'll already be in Brisbane!

Australia is not what I expected it to be. Granted, my expectations were along the lines of Crocodile Hunter meets Crocodile Dundee meets kangaroos and wallabies. There are much fewer crocs in Sydney than I had anticipated :)


On one hand, being in Sydney is really like being in any other city. There are lots of people (LOTS of non-natives here), big buildings and touristy things. However, Sydney is impressively green. There are SO MANY parks and a HUMUNGOUS Botanical Gardens area. It makes walking through the city a relaxing experience. Not to mention such impressive sights as the Sydney Opera House and the Harbour Bridge.


Another thing I've noticed that sets Sydney apart is that these people LOVE to exercise. All the time. Day and night. I tried to count the runners I saw when I was walking through the park to get downtown today and I stopped at 150 after walking about 20 minutes. People also kickbox in the park and bike everywhere. I was (and still am) highly impressed with their disciplined regimens, however, I often wonder to myself:

"Do these people ever work?"

Yes, of course they work. At least I'm pretty sure...

And now, a short Aussie vocabulary quiz:

Take a guess at what the following Aussie phrase refers to. NO CHEATING! (No cunning either, for all you Koreanites)

"I've chucked a sickie and I've got my budgie smugglers, now I'm ready to hang ten, mate!"

I'll post the answer when I get 5 guesses. If you guess right, I'll buy you a wombat. Or a boomerang. Or some budgie smugglers.

Cheers, mate!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Budgie smugglers, LOL. I prefer the term Banana Hammock. And be careful not to hurt yourself on the waves or work might ask some questions.

Unknown said...

I'm going to go with the not so creative guess of, "I've gotten rid of my work clothes and I've got my swimsuit and board. Now I'm ready to go surfing." Hm, boring answer.. Anyway, did I ever tell you to visit Pancakes on the Rocks? No? How dare I hold out on you! You should really try it-best pancakes on planet earth. It's in the Rocks district if you can believe it. Love you darling Bobster.

Hilary said...

I'm gonna guess... "I've gotten over this terrible cold, FINALLY, so now I'm gonna take my swim suit and board and go surfing."

Maybe.

Or, maybe it's "I've finally thrown out my sick brother Chuck and now I'm going to take these bungie chords and hang ten of them around my house."

Who knows!

Glad you're having fun. Hope you don't chuck any sickies... or do... whatever's best!