Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Happy Canada Day, eh!


This year, a lot of my friends happen to be Canadians (who'duh thunk??) and today they're all celebrating this thing called "Canada Day" which is apparently a holiday marking a significant event in Canadian history. Perhaps independence, perhaps the invention of maple syrup, perhaps the creation of their national ice hockey league - the world may never know. All I know is that it's pretty brazen to stamp your country's name on a day of the year and claim it as your own. Pish posh. We don't call July 4th "America Day".

Oh the art of satire. You hosers know I love yah, eh! Now somebody get me a brusky...

This week marks a "Perfect Storm" of sorts here in Korea: in one week's time, we have Canada Day (July 1), Hilary's birthday (July 1), Jess Crew's birthday (July 2), my birthday (July 2), and AMERICA DAY (July 4). Ordinarily, any one of these events would cause a celebration including but not limited to noraebanging (karaoke), dance parties, youtube karaoke, fireworks, cake, minigolf, bowling, etc. But we have a PENTA-BIRTHDAY, and I have a feeling things are gonna get outta control - fast.

So we're all going up to Jen and Cory's place in Ilsan for a BBQ on Saturday. Phe-NOM- enal.

I can't wait to sing "Alone" by Heart again. I think it was the song I was born to sing.

Next topic - I don't want to jinx things...but I may have my tentative post-Korea vacation and home arrival date scheduled. Drumroll, please:

D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D--D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D

August 26 - Leaving Korea (Annyoung suckas!!), traveling to Auckland

3 weeks in New Zealand (everywhere)

1 week in Australia (either based in Sydney or Melbourne, not sure yet)

2 weeks in Indonesia/Bali/Lombok/Gili Air

October 13 - Arriving in Chicago, jetlagged outta my mind

Now this is all dependent on whether the company who employs me (the Korean government) can successfully manage to do what they said they'd do. Korea excels in many things, but organization and/or efficiency are not two of them. My mind is boggled every 34 seconds. I'm pretty sure the IRS works more smoothly than the Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education. There are some things I will miss about Korea; there are some things I DEFINITELY won't.

After all, this is coming from the girl who alphabetizes assembly line ingredients for omelet parties and calculates weekly pancake-per-hour consumption rates in order to maximize ease of service and minimize waste. And that's just BREAKFAST.

So, God-willing, those are my travel plans. I'll be traveling with Trev and Rach, so I know I'll be in good company.

Better get to bed soon - I have an open classroom lesson tomorrow - fun way to celebrate turning 23, eh? Wah waaaaaaaaaah.

Love you - miss you - thinking of you - praying for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ms. Becker

I'm Tiny Tony's Mom. :) I just drop a line to say thank you. Thanks for your teaching my son. He's shy but he loves you and your classes. It was lucky for him to have a nice teacher like you.
I went to your open-classroom. (Do you remember a mom who were in a red dress?)Kids were so excited. I liked your exciting class.
I read that you'll leave Korea in August on your post. He'll miss you. Wherever you go, please remember that there is a boy who will remember you as his first English teacher in his life.
This is my e-mail address, "whole-new-world@daum.net". Please feel free to contact me. Thanks again.

*p.s. This morning, I sent some cookies that I baked for you and Tony's classmates. I hope you enoy it.:)