Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Diversity and Ginkgo Berries

It's cold.

But that's okay, because my mommy sent me my winter coat. She also sent me my running shoes, two white t-shirts, a page of the comics, microwave popcorn, and some baggies of cherry granola from the co-op which I have been craving for exactly 3 years because it tastes how happiness feels. Thanks mumsy :)

AnBerlin is INCREDIBLE. You should check them out. "The Unwinding Cable Car" is the greatest song ever written. And that is a completely objective statement.

I went to the Yellow Sea on Saturday with my co-teacher, Hyun. She picked me up at 10 or so and we motored about 3 hours south to somewhere along the West coast of the Korean peninsula. We went to this island and walked on the beach for awhile. I got some AWESOME shells. Like nothing I've ever seen in the states. I saw tidal pools with tiny forms of life running around and oyster outcroppings on giant rocks. There were ajummas everywhere trying to harvest the oysters (ajummas = old Korean ladies...I guess I have to explain ajummas in my next post...stay tuned, it'll be worth it).

Here's a fun bit for you Purdue people: You know those ginkgo trees along the north side of Memorial Mall directly across from Stanley Coulter hall, the ones that drop those NASTY SMELLING berries that stick to the bottom of your shoe and leave you smelling like vomit for your power hour lecture? Well, apparently in Korea, there's a saying that says that you should eat 5 ginkgo berries everyday and you will be incredibly vibrant and healthy. Old people here shake the ginkgo trees and gather those puke berries like madmen, then remove the outer part of the berry and harvest the inner seed-like things. They look like jellybeans.

So this dude was roasting the seed-like things along the harbor on Saturday and Hyun bought me some. They tasted decent (they had salt on them), but every once in awhile you'd catch a slight whiff of barfberry and that was enough to make you want to toss your berries, so to speak.

Have I used enough vomit euphemisms yet? Probably. I love how diverse the English language is. Oh - speaking of diverse...

On the way home, Hyun and I were in the car and after an extended period of silence (I was reading...or just daydreaming with a book open, which happens about 50% of the time that I appear to be "reading") she said the following to me:

"Jessica (or, more accurately, 'Jeshka'), have I said you that I am...diverse?"

Furrowed brow. My thought process: "Diverse? Diverse? What the heck does she mean by diverse? Like, multi-faceted? Does she have multiple personalities? Am I stuck in the car in bumper to bumper traffic with a crazy person?? Is she only half-Korean? Gosh this is awkward...I have no idea what to say..."

Hyun: "You know, I am diverse. I was married, but now I am diversed."

Me: "OH, DIVORCED! Divorced, right. Got it. Divorced. Yep."

This is how most of our conversations go. No wonder I have migraines.

Before I jet to post about ajummas, funny story from today:
I was teaching class 6-3 after lunch today when I heard a knock at the door. I look over and see a tiny first grade boy open the door. He looks up, sees me, his eyes get huge and he says -

"Oh my God."

And then he runs away.

I AM NOT A FREAK. I LOOK LIKE A NORMAL PERSON. PLEASE EXCUSE ME FOR BEING OF CAUCASIAN HERITAGE. These are the things I must repeat to myself on a daily basis. I actually laughed out loud when that happened though. I thought it was hilarious.

Onto the ajumma post, stay warm!!

Jess

2 comments:

Christine said...

I love that song! I listened to it like 5 times the other day!! "Don't drop your arms..."we must have ESP. :)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!