Monday, November 12, 2007

There goes my hero...

On Sunday at church, I got to meet a man that has had a significant impact in my life in a multitude of ways. He now joins Stephen among the ranks of my personal heroes. Who is this mystery man, you may ask, and what astounding contribution to society is he responsible for?

He was the primary developing force behind Kashi GoLean Crunch cereal.

Now, I know what you're thinking. Cereal? Really? You're personal hero is a cereal developer? People, hear me. Where would you be without cereal? Since the days of fighting with your siblings over who got to fish around for that worthless toy at the bottom of the box, through the Fruit Loop years, the sweet Lucky Charms mornings, the Cap'n Crunch revolution of your youth - cereal is who you've become. Its more than food. Its a sustaining life force, a symbol of our ever-evolving yet nostalgic generation. Its more than just a part of who we are - it represents who we've always desired to become.

Funny sidenote/cereal story: One time my mom bought 10 boxes of a cereal called "Golden Goals" because I think each box cost about $0.35. I still to this day remember how awful that cereal was and how it was the worst month of my life trying to work through 10 boxes of it. And we always had that rule, the one that stated "No one may open a new box of cereal until the previous box has been emptied". I still remember that. Vividly. Cereal is important.

And so as I was carrying around my gigantic box of cereal on Sunday (that Hilary bought for me at CostCo), I was stopped by a middle-aged Indian man, who exclaimed upon meeting me that he had been one of the key developers of Kashi in the late 1990s and that he personally helped the marketing team come up with the name "GoLean". He is now the CEO of Kellogg's in Asia, which means that he is CEREAL ROYALTY.

Now, this summer I saw important people everyday. I said "Hi" to Senators on a fairly regular basis. I had my picture taken with Newt Gingrich. I went to The President's Dinner. But all of that pales in comparison to meeting Cap'n Crunch himself. I can imagine his birthday parties...he probably fills the swimming pool with Frosted Flakes...Tony the Tiger gives the toast ("What can I say about these people? They're grrrrrreat!")...Snap, Crackle and Pop are making balloon animals for the kids...what a life.

Thank you, Mr. Kellogg's Man, for making my mornings so wholesome, for providing me with the most important meal of the day, and most importantly - for making my childhood just a little brighter. Thank you, Mr. Kellogg's Man, for being a hero to children everywhere. Thank you, Mr. Kellogg's man, for being my hero.

Feel free to leave any personal messages of gratitude, and I will pass them along.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

I love this post, and I love you. And I totally want to go to that party.