Thursday, January 31, 2008

Worth Noting

A short post to record two interesting occurrences as of late.

1) I received this from one of my 3rd Grade students:


That's right - its a pink box that says "Whip Bear: Whippy little bear whip!! How about taking a walk?"

EVERYTHING in English in Korea is this random. At first I was amused by it, then I was appalled by it, and now I'm just used to it. So Whip Bear now fits in the "normal" category in my brain.

But even more intriguing than the outside of this little box is what is found inside:


Two handcrafted finger puppets (a bear and a pig, both in what appears to be formal wear with their heads slightly resembling upside-down popcorn boxes with the word "LOVE" printed on the front) and glitter/sequins.

Only in Korea. It's definitely the cutest, most randomly awesome present I've ever received.

2) Milk

Milk in Korea just tastes...funny. I've tried almost every brand and they just taste...funny. I can't put my finger on it but it must have something to do with what their cows eat...I keep flashing back to that scene in Napoleon Dynamite where he's identifying defects in milk in a 4-H competition. I'll take a swig and think "This one tastes like the cow wandered into an onion patch". So yesterday, I bought this milk, and I didn't see this until after I bought it and drank a cup that it says:



Premium Bone Milk.

Premium...bone...milk. Is the milk (concerned face)...made from...bones?? (very concerned face) EEEEEWWWWWWW!!!! Yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck!

But then I thought, maybe its just calcium-fortified, you know, to build strong bones. And who knows what the 206 refers to. 206 vitamins and minerals? 206 bones in every carton? 206 calories in every serving? 206 minutes that you will spend TRYING TO FIGURE THIS OUT???

Heck if I know. Oh, Korea. You are a perplexing labyrinth of mysteries.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the milk thing, but I wanted to give you some wonderful news on the home front. Fort Wayne finally got a Chiptole restaurant! Horray for us! We'll take you when you get back. Love!